US Visa Lottery Application Is On. The registration for the 2020 US Visa Lottery (also known as the Green Card Lottery) is now open. All individuals worldwide who meet the entry requirements can apply until November 6 2019.
Officially the lottery is called the DV-2020 Lottery. Successful applicants will be able to enter the US as a permanent resident in January 2020.
Applicants need to complete the online form and participate at a green card interview if the initial application is successful. In total, 55,000 permanent residence cards are available to people from “underrepresented countries”.
The lottery will be held in November but the winners will not be notified until May or June 2019. Over the years, millions of immigrants have moved to the US after winning the US Visa Lottery.
Green cards are for permanent residence. To visit the US for short-term business or tourism it is necessary to enroll with ESTA (for eligible nationalities) or apply for a B1/B2 visa.
Applicants need to be a citizen of a qualifying foreign country with low immigration rates to the US. People from countries with a high immigration rate to the US cannot apply for the program.
It is the country of birth that is taken into account, not the country of citizenship or residence. The following countries are excluded from participation in the Green card lottery program:
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland only), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, the United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland), and Vietnam.
It is possible for citizens from non-qualifying countries to apply if one of their parents is from a qualifying country.
How can people apply for the US visa lottery?
The online application can be completed online at dvlottery.state.gov.
It is necessary to provide the following information:
1. Name: surname, first name, and middle name (exactly as it appears on your passport). If you have only one name, enter it in the ‘last/family name’ field.
2. Gender: male or female.
3. Birthdate: day, month, and year.
4. City of birth: as shown on your passport.
5. Country of birth: as shown on your passport
6. Country of eligibility for the visa lottery program: most likely to be your country of birth.
7. Photograph(s): recent (last six months) separate photos of you, your spouse, and your children.
8. Address: full address including zip code.
9. Country of residence: the country where you live today.
10. Phone number (optional).
11. Email address: used for all communication.
12. Highest level of education achieved: high school, college etc.
13. Marital status: married, widowed, unmarries etc.
14. Number of children: the name, date of birth, gender, place, and country of birth, for all unmarried children (under 21 years of age).