A report by ThisDay indicates that wide-ranging consultations have begun in earnest ahead of the 2023 presidential election.
According to the report, the kick-off of political activities is due to the end of the appeal filed by the Peoples Democratic Party
(PDP) candidate in the February 23 presidential election, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, which was dismissed by the Supreme Court.
The report listed those in the rce and they are;
1. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo
2. All Progressives Congress (APC) national leader, Senator Bola Tinubu
3. Ekiti state governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi
4. Pastor Tunde Bakare
5. Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto state and Governor Nasir el-Rufai
7. Former Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega and
Photo: Catholic Priest And His Vehicle Set Ablaze By Bandits In Taraba.
8. Former governor of Anambra state, Mr. Peter Obi. An unamed source quoted in the report, however, said it is believed that Atiku
might still show interest in the race.
It is believed that Tinubu used the presidential campaign of President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 presidential election to bounce back to reckoning. He was the vice chairman of the campaign council while the president was the chairman. On his part, Vice President Osinbajo is said to be looking to reap from the principle of right of first right of refusal.
He is said to be banking on the trust the president has for him, to push for him to ascend to the presidency. Osinbajo, say some political watchers, may be the dark horse that would upstage Tinubu in the impending contest.
For Governor Fayemi, his deft political move in clinching the position of the chairman of Nigeria Governors’ Forum earlier in the points to the fact that he is interested in the race. The fiery pastor of the Latter Rain Assembly, Tunde Bakare, is the only one of
the lots that has openly declared his intention to replace Buhari at the villa come 2023.
For Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna state, he has been canvassing for the scrapping of zoning, to give way for competency.